For many years, rats have been a nuisance to humans. These pesky little creatures are very destructive as they can gnaw many things in the house, such as documents and food. Apart from destroying property, rats are also carriers of various diseases such as Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome and bubonic plague.
If you’re undergoing a rat infestation at the moment, we are sorry for you. But there is no need to panic as there are various rat baits that can be used to eliminate the rat population in your home. Just be patient and figure out the best rat bait for your type of rat. Since rats are neophobic, you need to introduce the bait without poison so that they can get used to it and later introduce one with poison. This way, they won’t stay clear of the bait chunks or pellets. Also, before you buy any type of bait, you need to know what types of rats are within your compound or home.
Our Recommended 3 Effective Rat Bait Comparison Chart
|Images||Top 3 Rat Baits||Product Details|
|(2022 Editor's Choice)|
|Fasttrac Blox, Fastrac Rodenticide pail|
|(Best For Commercial Use)|
|18lbs Bell Labs Contrac Blox Rodent Control Rodenticide Kills Mice & Rats|
|Tomcat Bait Chunx Pail 4 LB|
Summary of Contents
The most common rats in the USA are Norway rats and roof rats. Norway rats are common at or below ground levels, such as in basements, dumpsters, burrows, and sewers. At the same time, roof rats can be found in higher areas like in attics, trees, cliffs, and in higher levels of the house. Norway rats love foods that are high in protein, sugar, and fat. On the other hand, a roof rat prefers food that is rich in dried fruit and nuts. But if you don’t know how to differentiate different rats, you can just go with peanut butter and dried fruits which rats and rodents love.
Top Rated 10 Best Rat Bait Reviews 2023
Choosing the right rat bait is not an easy thing. There are lots of brands and types of baits to select from. In this review, we conducted thorough research and picked out the best 10 rat baits. These are very attractive to rats and other rodents.
Farnam Just One Bite II Bait Chunks
Farnam Just one bite II bait chunks is one of the most reliable and effective rat killers on the market. The bait is very potent as it features a bromadiolone, which is very powerful and kills in just one feed. Also, you don’t have to worry about insects destroying the bait as it is treated with S-methoprene. So, it is ideal for placing outside your house to kill the pesky rodents in the yard. Additionally, Farnam just one bite II bait chunks is suitable for killing different types of rats with warfarin resistant rats included.
- It kills in just one feed
- It features a very potent active ingredient that is effective in killing rats and mice
- This bait chunk kills all kinds of rats, with warfarin resistant rats included
- It is enough to clear the entire rat population
- It works as stated
- The rodenticide is very expensive
- It is dangerous when consumed by pets or kids
Related product: First Strike Soft Bait Reviews (RAT/MICE Rodenticide Poison)
Motomco Jaguar Poison Bait For Rat Traps
Motomco is a famous brand, and it creates some of the best rat killers on the market. The Motomco Jaguar mouse and rat bait are highly effective as it contains brodifacoum, which is a second-generation anticoagulant. This means that just one feed is enough to suffocate the rat or mouse to death. The 9-pound bucket will help you clear the entire rat or mice infestation in your home. For the bait to be effective, ensure that you supply enough chunks in the area so that most of the rats and mice can have a taste of it. Don’t touch the chunks with your bare hands, as the rats won’t feed on them.
- It contains brodifacoum as the active ingredient, which is very effective in killing rodents
- This rat bait kills rodents and dries them, so there is no odor
- It kills in just one feed
- It works as described
- Get rid of the rat problem within a week
- Some users have complained that some rats and mice did not even bother to eat the bait.
- It is slightly costlier than the glue traps.
Bell 18lb Contrac Blox Rodenticide
The Contract Blox bait is a multi-edged, single-feeding rat and mouse bait. It contains bromadiolone as the active ingredient. This is able to suffocate the rats or mice to death a few days after feeding on it. Additionally, it features a blend of food-grade ingredients and low wax to yield attractive bait to rats and mice. The all-weather bait can as well be placed outside the house but functions perfectly indoors. Put the bait away from your pets and kids as it is dangerous.
It is recommended that you place the baits in bait stations where pets and other animals can’t access the bait. If the bait stays for 40 to 60 days without being consumed, you should change it as it can sour.
- It is all-weather
- You can attach it with rat traps, or bait stations
- It is less toxic to other non-target animals
- The Contrac Blox bait is very attractive to rodents
- It is very effective as it kills after just a few feeding
- The poison can last between 2-3 years if unopened
- Some users have complained that the rodenticide doesn’t work.
Fasttrac Blox Rodenticide
Designed by Bell laboratories, Fasttrac Blox rodenticide is an extremely effective rodenticide for eliminating mice and rats in your house, agricultural buildings, food processing facilities, and commercial areas. The rat bait contains bromethalin as the active ingredient. The bait itself features various gnawing edges and a hole through every single block. This makes putting the bait in the bait station easy, or it can as well be used as standalone bait. The rat or mouse doesn’t have to feed twice on the bait for effect to be felt as one feed is enough to suffocate them.
- It kills in just one feed
- It can be applied both indoors and outdoors
- This contains bromethalin as the main ingredient
- It is easy to use as they can be used as standalone baits or in bait stations
- It is cheaper considering it comes in a 4-pound container
- A good number of customers say that it is not effective in killing rats and mice.
JT Eaton 166004 709-N Rodenticide
Since 1932, JT Eaton has been manufacturing and selling only the highest quality products. The company’s mission is to get rid of pests in homes and in commercial places so that people can have peace of mind.
The JT Eaton 166004 is an excellent option for eliminating mice and rat problems in your home. These pesky little creatures can become a nuisance if not controlled and got rid of in time. With the JT Eaton 709-N bait blocks, you will be able to eliminate them slowly by slowly. This best rat bait contains Diphacinone as the active ingredient. This is a first-generation anticoagulant that will kill the small rodents slowly, a few days after feeding on it.
- This pest control product contains a peanut butter flavor that attracts rodents
- It has Diphacinone as its active ingredient, which gets rid of tiny rodents
- Functions as stated
- Smelly bait kills slowly but very effectively
- 1-year limited warranty
- Not as effective as electronic mouse traps
Motomco 008-32345 Tomcat Rat and Mouse Bait
If your rats are shying away from large bait chunx, you should try out the Motomco 008-32345 rat and mouse bait pellets. Rats and mice love these pellets because they are very easy to gnaw and run away with. The Motomco bait pellets are made of Diphacinone as the active ingredient. Therefore, you are required to feed them several times before the poison takes effect in them. But eventually, they will suffocate after a few days, and they will start to disappear away slowly. Use these pellets inside or outside the house as they are covered with plastic. Since it comes in bulk, it will be enough to eliminate the rats and mice in your home.
- It is very economical
- This rat & mouse bait kills slowly but is very effective
- It is suitable in all kinds of weather, even during cold weather
- You may be required to feed them a lot before the rat poisons can take effect
- Not ideal for snap traps
Just One Bite Li Bars Mice and Rat Killer
What is the best rat bait for Norway rats? Just one bite is an excellent Norway rat killer that works in just one feeding. It is a second-generation rodenticide that comes with bromadiolone as the active agent. This active ingredient is extremely potent, and just one bite is enough for the rat to suffocate to death. With such properties, you should use it with caution as it should not land in the hands of kids or pets. Just one bite of mouse poison bars is ideal for eliminating a large rat or mice infestation. It doesn’t matter if it’s roof rats, Warfarin-resistant Norway rats, or house mice. It will still eliminate them.
- It functions as stated by the manufacturer
- It is very effective as only one feed is required to suffocate the rats
- This rat bait features excellent packaging for greater freshness
- It comes with the second generation anticoagulant for a quicker outcome
- It can be used on all kinds of rodents, with squirrels and chipmunks included
- The Li bars are somehow hard to break into smaller pieces
- It is quite expensive when compared to other types of baits
Related: Tomcat Mouse Trap Reviews
Tomcat Bait Chunx
The Tomcat bait chunx with bromethalin is a great killer for different types of rodents. It is suitable for eliminating different types of rat species mice, resistant Norway rats, and roof rats. The bait chunx contains bromethalin as the active ingredient. It features a hole in the chunx, which allows the user to tie it around a pole or tree. The mice don’t have to feed twice on the bait as just a single feed is enough for them. The potent acute toxicant will kill the mice within two days. With these attributes, this bait will save you money as less bait is used to get rid of mice or rat infestation.
- Less bait is used to eliminate rodents
- One lethal dose is enough to kill the rodent
- It kills all kinds of rats, with Norway warfarin resistant rats included
- It features a potent acute toxicant in bromethalin
- It is toxic and good to use around pets or kids
- Many users have complained that it works on mice, but it is not very effective on rats
Motomco Tomcat All-Weather Bait Chunx
Made in the USA, Motomco is one of the top rat killers on the market with all kinds of products. The Motomco 9-pound bait chunx rat and mouse killer is all-weather bait. So, you can place it outside your house or inside to eliminate the rat or mouse population that is giving you sleepless nights. It comes with Diphacinone as the active ingredient. This is a first-generation anticoagulant, and thus, it is not as powerful as a second-generation anticoagulant. But still, it is able to eliminate rodents but after feeding on the poison continuously.
- It is an all-weather bait
- It can be utilized indoors and outdoors
- The block baits kill rats slowly but very effectively
- It contains Diphacinone as the active ingredient
- This chunx is quite expensive, considering it is not as effective as second-generation anticoagulants.
JT Eaton 709-AP Rodenticide for Mice and Rats
If you’re fed up with mice activity in your house, get the JT Eaton 709-N rodenticide for rats and mice. This product contains Diphacinone as an active ingredient. This first-generation anticoagulant kills slowly but effectively. After approximately two days after feeding on the bait, the rat or mice will suffocate to death. The apple flavor added to the bait attracts rodents to the bait making it very effective. For better results, you should supply the bait chunx in the area where there is rodent activity. If possible, you can as well tie them around trees or poles next to rodent activity. In addition, the manufacturer offers a 1-year warranty to buyers of the product.
- The apple fruit flavor attracts rats and mice to the bait
- Diphacinone is the active ingredient, and it kills small rodents effectively
- The bait blocks can be tied around a tree or pole near rodent activity
- 1-year limited warranty
- You have to feed the rodents consistently for effect to take place
Choose the best rat bait that is suitable for your type of rat. It should be effective and able to kill rats within one feeding or after a few hours of feeding on it. Also, consider picking from a notable brand with good reviews. Ensure that you keep the bait away from your kids and pets as it cannot hurt them as well.
Question: How do I ensure that bait is not stolen and rat captured?
Answer: Only place a small portion of the bait instead of putting a large chunk that can be easily stolen by the rodent. Putting just a small portion of the bait area will help the rodent to try and steal the bait. This will trigger the pedal, and the rodent will be caught.
Question: If you see droppings the color of the bait, what does this mean?
Answer: This is a good sign that the rats or mice have consumed the bait and are already dead or close to death. Rats produce at least 30 droppings per day, while mice produce at least 50 droppings or more per day. So, when you see droppings the color of the bait, it is a sign that they have consumed the bait, and it is working in their system.
My cat accidentally eats a poisoned rat. Will it die?
Answer: There is a very slim chance that the cat will get sick or even die after consuming a poisoned rat or mice. This is because the rat poison is no longer strong as it has moved up the entire rat’s body. But still, it is not a good idea for the cat to feed on the poisoned rodent.
Question: In case a rat or mice feed on pet food that is rich in vitamin K1, can these foods offset the effects of anticoagulant bait?
Answer: Not at all. Actually, it will only delay their time of death. The rodent is not able to ingest enough vitamin K1 that will save it from the effects of the anticoagulant bait.
Still, have a question after reading this best rat bait article? Comment below.